Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Run Away Mommy

First of all - Well done Obama!

On the advice of my trainer, I have begun to start of up training slowly but surely. I am anxious to just gun it out of the blocks but I am trying to heed the good advice. How unlike me! However, I am travelling for work this week so it makes it easier to stick to a more moderate training plan. Today I got out to run in the neighbourhood of my hotel but this is hilly territory so I am sure my backside is going to pay for this. Probably just as well as I think my butt was getting a little too comfortable sitting on couches and chairs.

This brings me to today's topic, fitting in the run while travelling. That is the beauty of running isn't it? It is totally portable and can be done pretty much anywhere! Unfortunately I forgot my ipod which changes the whole dynamic of my run. I have a terrible time running without it! Apparently, my own thoughts are poor company.

When you think about it, there are very few other activities that travel as well. Team sports are obvious, while things like skiing, climbing - even hiking require at least some preplanning. All you really need to run is a pair of decent shoes. Today I actually went out without an iPod, phone, Nike+ or even even water and I felt strangly naked.
My other problem with my naked run was that my head was just a little too clear. As much as I enjoy the break from my beautiful but exausting family, I do miss the little monsters. I am sure Daddy has it covered and they sounded perfectly well cared for when I talked to them. It is weird how we do that as Mom's isn't it? My husband is a grown man who is perfectly capable but I am still worried that my son is wearing the same pair of pants for three days and my daughter is eating Froot Loops for dinner (I LOATHE the Loops). My hubby is a great husband and fantastic father but despite running a department of people all over North America - he probably couldn't tell you the last name of our babysitter. I like this picture because my efforts to have perfectly tidy and beautiful children at my sisters wedding were thwarted by Daddy oddly giving them a crumbling, sugar covered biscuit.
I guess my message today is that it is possible to run while you travel, it is also possible to run without all our running gadgets but it is NOT possible to run away from your family (even for work) and not miss them because they creep into your brain all day - especially when you run unaccessorized in a strange place!

8 comments:

Legs and Wings said...

My wife, the great runner in our family, refuses to run with an iPod or any other distraction, gadget, water, etc. She loves to be alone with her thoughts on the run. Me? The opposite. I dig the iPod.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i totally relate! love the ipod, love running with the gadgets, feel naked when i don't! when i used to travel for work, finding time to run seemed easier without worrying about dinner for the little one... and yes, i am the same as you. Know his dad is capable, but you still wonder. LOL good luck with your start back!

Marlene said...

Great pics - couple of sweeties you have. Try not to worry and enjoy the break!

Marci said...

Aww cute pics! Way to go fitting in the run while travelling!

Kim said...

Cute Cute Pics...

I can go either way, iPod or not-really doesn't matter usually-unless I'm on the dreadmill-then I have to be watching tv or listening to music.

Janice {Run Far} said...

way cute photos... I always have a hard time running while traveling, I am a nervous nelly to run in places unfamiliar to me. I know, lame.

Kim Hayworth said...

Just so you know, everything you wrote is so true, This is what makes you the great runner and the loving mother... well said mama

RunnerMom said...

I'm typically a little scared to run alone when I travel. Of course, I so rarely travel, so it hasn't been an issue!

I had a couple of days away from the "zoo" in October. By day 3, I was ready to come home but I appreciated the break. Your little ones are adorable. (And my hubby barely knows the sitter's first name!)