Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Next Generation of Runners




A few weeks ago, a bunch of us participated in the Run for the Cure. It was great because it was something very close to my best friend's heart and we had a full team of gals. Some were runners, some walkers and some "in-between". This race is always about a lot more than running and the crowd was crazy! So much pink...

The best part was that I ran the race with my little neighbour. She is a die hard athlete for a nine year old and she is always asking me about my running. With parents permission, she joined our team and she managed to raise more than $400 which is the highest on our team! She was really excited about getting a number and painting her hair pink as well as all the vendors and various things to see (like the level of dedication to the outfit of many of the participants!). Standing at the start line, I could tell she was a little nervous but she was a trooper! For the first few minutes, I made her hold my hand because I was afraid of losing her in the crowd and I could not be responsible for returning without my neighbours child! She is an asthmatic so I had TWO puffers in my hands just in case..

Of course I ran with her the whole way and she was a star - we only stopped a few times! She was VERY excited when we crossed the finish line and like any true athlete she was anxious to know our finishing time. This week, she made up Thank-you cards for all those that sponsored her and brought one to me. In each of the cards she put a picture of herself crossing the finish line. I thought this was an excellent idea and one that I will be sure to do myself! You will notice in the picture that she looks like J-Lo crossing the finish line getting snapped by paps while her security runs nearby...that's me - security!

3 comments:

Marlene said...

That is so awesome! What a sweet girl. I'm sure there will be many more races in her future.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

That is amazing..

Stacey said...

What a great experience!