- Decide in early 2008 that we could not just wait around for our daughters condition to get worse. Rather than be idle, I informed my hubby that I was going to run a 1/2 marathon with the Joints in Motion Care team in Toronto. The 1/2 marathon was many, many months away so I was not overly worried. Hubby was somewhat concerned about my tendency to overextend myself but I assured him that all was well.
- In February 2009, I met with the Arthritis Society. After learning of my previous running experience, they convinced me that the 1/2 marathon in Disney is a far more exciting thing to do and that I could try to raise a lot more money. I was very skeptical but decided to give it a shot (see: hubby has more anxiety...).
- In March 2009, I began running again with more regularity. Somedays I felt like an Olympic Athlete and super Mom...other days I was little more than pathetic and bloated former athlete trying to relive the glory days after two kids and one too many plates of nachos. I digress....
- In April 2008, I began to fundraise and Glory be to God, it was an enormous success! In less than a week I had raised over $4000 and within a month I had exceed $6000. At last check, my total funds raised was approached $7000 with one week left. We have wonderful friends, families, colleagues and employers!
- In May 2008, the training coach convinced me I could do the full marathon. This was a matter of significant debate in the RunMommy household as the time, energy and physical capacity was soon to exceed critical mass. However...the full had eluded me twice previously (darn pregnancies) so a little part of me couldn't let it go and hubby relented.
- May 2008 to present - training really begins..hurray!
- September 2008 - foot injury and relentless pain threaten to sideline the event and there is much discussion on whether we can proceed with so much on the line. Several mental breakdowns later, it is decided to push forward and hope for the best! After rest, lots of massage, physio and excellent advice - we were back on track with only the time goal to sacrifice.
- November 2008 - first run to exceed 30k and the first time we actually thought this might happen. Thanks again to M&M!
- December 2008 - tickets are paid for, travel plans are booked, children are over the moon with excitement and there is no turning back now
So here we are! We leave one week from today and I am ready to roll. At this point, I would be happy even if I finish is 6 hours (put sub 5 would make me happier - who am I kidding??).
As for 2009 plans:
- Complete first marathon
- Sit on butt for at least 1 full week (post Disney tour)
- Play competitive soccer again after 5 year hiatus.
- Conitnue to encourage children to participate in athletic endeavors to their fullest effort!
- Repair SuperMom cape for future use
- Cook dinner every night - not just on days I want to have vegetarian fare
- Participate in at least one trail race
- Complete at least on other marathon (maybe 2 - maybe 3 - Wow, the addiction really is catching!)
- At least one marathon must be in another country - perhaps without children this time??
- Become friends with my bikini (seriously??? no)
- Enjoy 10 years of joyful marriage (hopefully in a cafe in Paris)
- Introduce one new children's active living event in the community (LOVE my job)
- Continue to read up on the activities of all the bloggers who run for health, run for love, run for joy, run for torture or run for all the above.
Happy New Year!